Problem with Oracle DB pipes

From: <bbrelin_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:05:57 GMT

Hello,

[Quoted] I'm a newcomer to Oracle but I've been doing system programming on Unix for a while. I've run into a problem which I can't seem to resolve.

I have a daemon which reads a database pipe that is written to by a stored procedure on an Oracle Database. The data sent contains, among other things, the name of another DB pipe (pipe 2) that was written to by another program.

This daemon then forks off a job to go and read pipe2. The problem is that if the daemon forks off a child and this child tries to read pipe2, the call fails. if the daemon goes ahead and reads pipe2 without forking off a child [Quoted] to read pipe2, the read succeeds. I don't get it. I'm having a hard time [Quoted] debugging the read pipe call because the return value from the embedded SQL [Quoted] command (which is turned into C with the Oracle Pro/C precompiler) only returns success or failure, not *why* it failed.

[Quoted] Anybody have any idea why this isn't working? I'm running Oracle 8.0.5 on a Sun E10000 with Solaris 2.6.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Braun Brelin
bbrelin_at_my-dejanews.com