Re: Need your opinion on Dev2K java front-end

From: P <pedavies_at_freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:50:34 +0100

At work we have trialled and proved the 3 tier architecture, an Oracle Database Server, an Oracle Web Server and Oracle Forms and Reports run from the Web Server via IE4 (downloaded Java applets), we are hoping to roll this out via an Intranet by Sept - users access the Web Server via thier browser.

There is a one off hit on the networl the first time the user connects to address - the applet is downloaded to their PC. Each subsequent access there is a check of the server version of the applet against the version on the PC - if there is a new version on the server it's downloaded -if not it just runs. Network traffic is much lower than Client Server - but a "thick" cable is required between the Web Server and Oracle server because this is where the traffic is.

Reports do not support drills and there are a few other issues but overall we are are pushing the Oracle Web solutions.