Re: reverse-engineering advice?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 03:19:04 GMT

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:26:42 GMT, rryan_at_innovisions.com wrote:

>I'm looking for a decent tool to create database documentation. I've tried
>the typical options: Visio, PS DataArchitect, AppModeler, ERWin, Rational
>Rose, EZ/ER, & Visual Studio. The problem with these is they try to force
>you to perform all management functions from their application. If somebody
>changes the data structure from outside the application (such as SQL*Plus),
>you're forced to completely rechart the entire database, even if you only add
>one field to a table.

Not entirely true. Erwin will do what they call a "complete compare", and it will only add in (or delete) the changes that were made. You do have to manually go through each one and choose whether to make the model look like the database, or vice-versa.

I've had my share of frustrations with Erwin, but as long as you don't let things get too out of sync, you won't have too many problems. I would never, ever, use it to propogate changes TO my database though.

Jonathan Received on Tue Apr 27 1999 - 05:19:04 CEST

Original text of this message