reverse-engineering advice?

From: <rryan_at_innovisions.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:26:42 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] I'm looking for a decent tool to create database documentation. I've tried the typical options: Visio, PS DataArchitect, AppModeler, ERWin, Rational Rose, EZ/ER, & Visual Studio. The problem with these is they try to force you to perform all management functions from their application. If somebody changes the data structure from outside the application (such as SQL*Plus), you're forced to completely rechart the entire database, even if you only add one field to a table. Sure, it only takes a few clicks to do this, but none of these apps adequately lay out the tables and correctly display all the relations. What if you spend three hours reverse engineering your database and somebody adds a field to a table. I'm looking for something with an "update" button that will connect to the database and update the tables in their current layout. Has anyone tried Designer 2000?