Re: Any ideas Forms 4.5, SQLPLUS and Word?

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_nospam.flash.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:51:08 GMT

Fraser Boswell wrote:

> We have scripts kept in sql files in the filesystem which we want to
> run. These will create CSV files for use in a mail merge. So from Forms
> 4.5 we want a user to run the script by pressing a button, and when that
> is finished open Word for Windows with the mail merge set for the data
> file created. We want to do this in one go. Problem is, setting the
> script off to run in sqlplus works fine, but as the script may take some
> time to run, if we run this HOST('sqlplus username/pwd_at_dbname) command

All you need do is change your command to 'start/w sqlplus username/pwd_at_dbname @command'
The /w tells windows to wait until it finishes. You also need to call sqlplus and word from the
[Quoted] same batch file to make it work. Here is an example that works:

HOST('echo start/w plus80w.exe loya/barber_at_ora8srv @test_w
>c:\temp\junk.bat',NO_SCREEN);

HOST('echo "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" "c:\temp\junk.kil" >>c:\temp\junk.bat',NO_SCREEN); HOST('c:\temp\junk.bat',NO_SCREEN);

There are other ways you could do it, but this one is fairly easy. I am creating a DOS batch file
by redirecting the echo command to a file. The start/w insures that Word will not start until the
plus80w statement finishes. My test_w.sql script spools data to c:\temp\junk.kil. Word then picks
that up. Your situation is not exactly this, but I believe you can modify this to get where you want.

Loyal Barber
BLT Soft Incorporated

--
The difference between Windows 95 and 98?
3!