IIS 4.0 and Oracle 8i problems

From: Webmaster <webmaster_at_bdt.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 05:33:06 -0600

I have IIS 4.0 installed on a NT Server 4.0 machine running a web site powered by ASP and a VB 5.0 DLL. I previously ran an MS Access 97 database and recently migrated to Oracle 8i at which point I started experiencing this problem:

at a seemingly random point, all of my requests to pages that use the 8i database no longer respond (ie: they don't even occupy CPU time -- it's like it's dead). I can't shut the web service down when this occurs and have to reboot the computer, at which point we start over again. It then works for a brief period of time.

Technical details: all of my functions (both ASP and VB) call one of two functions that use the same connection object to the DB thru ODBC (Oracle driver, though this is insignificant since it crashed on a MS driver also). I use DAO 2.0 to connect through VB. I think I properly manage all connections. I have connection spooling on (both thru VB & IIS). During the time that the web pages do not respond, I can use SQL*Plus to make queries, and I can also use other independent ASP pages (connected thru an ASP-instantiated ADO connection) to query the db.

Have I made it worth your while? I can't find any help anywhere, so I hope you'll assist me!

Thanks,

Sterling Received on Fri Apr 16 1999 - 13:33:06 CEST

Original text of this message