Re: Creating tables & synonyms with Des2k.

From: Vladimir A. Zaikin <vlad_at_hammer.ryazan.su>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 99 09:25:40 +0400

Yes, Oracle SERVER can't accept it, but to my mynd it's a des2k 2.1.1 (7.0.20.7.0) feature. If we create synonym for table in RON with the same name we get error: CDA-02000 ... Uniqueness conflict. Then insert blank before name. I have no error. Now make generation from design editor:
  • cdsddl.syn --
  • Generated for Oracle 8 on Fri Apr 16 08:56:07 1999 by Server Generator 2.1.20.5.0

PROMPT Creating Synonym ' TEST'
CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM TEST FOR TEST
/

There is no quotation marks IN DDL COMMAND, only in prompt for it. One more blank between key words not so important, isn't it? Where is "not valid Oracle name"? May be in app (modules), but not in database generation. And if in 2.1.2 this problem fixed this discussion is not so actual. I say only about way like we avoid this problem in version 2.1.1.

Vladimir Zaikin

>No - Oracle can't accept a blank or an underscore (among other things) as the
>first character in an object name. I believe your problem may be that if you
>are trying to create a synonym with the exact name as your table - Oracle
>thinks you are trying to create a new object with the same name - thus
>causing a uniqueness conflict. Also, you must own the object before you will
>be allowed to create a synonym for it - or have rights to do so.

>But - I'm a little curious - why would you want to use the exact name of the
>table as your synonym...is this a location transparency issue?

>Best wishes,

>Chana

> Sorry, it's not working... ("... is not a valid ORACLE object name")

 Valeri Sorokine