Re: Do you have an interesting Trigger application?

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:20:09 +0100

Eric Hanson wrote in message ...
>I'm a researcher working on the development of improved database trigger
>systems. Can any of you tell me about how you're using triggers? In
>particular:
>
>* Do you think the Oracle trigger system is scalable enough?

Yes
>* Is it fast enough?

Yes

>* Have you run into limits where you wanted to be able to define more
>triggers than you were able to?

No
>* Would you be interested in being able to test trigger conditions and run
>trigger actions in a separate transaction from the original update, to
>improve update response time?

Don't understand how this would improve response time

>* How satisfied are you with the trigger system in Oracle? What do you
>like/not like about it?
Like - the general concept and the ability of triggers to call procedures Loath - 'mutating tables' problem. Our use oif triggers is significantly limited by these.

>* If you were able to define thousands of triggers, could you use that
>capability?

No. a few triggers for each table, calling lots of procedures each instead.

>* Would you be interested in using triggers on how a value in the database
>changes over an extended period of time (e.g. trigger if this field drops
by
>20% in a month)?

No.