Re: Developer 6: Comparison to Dev/2000

From: Craig J.B. <johnsmith_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:54:51 -0600

We have just converted our application from Forms 4.5.7 to Forms 5.0.6.14.2 because of the Web support offered in Forms 5, however, Forms 5 has quite a few bugs. I have beta testing Dev 6.0 and have found that even the beta's of Forms 6.0 is more stable than 5.0. More importantly, the Web integration features of Form 6.0 is much more stable and more advanced than that of Forms 5.0. Additionally, the features offered in Forms 6.0 (native Tree control, etc) make the move to Forms 6.0 well worth the effort.

As for compatability, I have taken forms developed in 5.0 and 4.5 and opened them with Forms 6.0. The 5.0 forms don't require any conversion, but the Form 4.5 forms will automatically be converted to PL/SQL version 2 when opened in 6.0. This has been a very easy conversion and I haven't encountered any difficulties with the conversion.

I would definately recommend Dev 6.0 to anyone contemplating upgrading their Developer version.

Hope this helps.
Craig.....
<dahlsg_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote in message news:7f231g$46e$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com...
> In article <FA52ED.E12.0.-s_at_inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
> "Gerald Winslow" <winslow_at_intermetrics.com> wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > First, I'm new to Oracle tools, so please forgive my ignorance. I've
just
> > started looking at Dev/2000 v. 5. And now along comes Dev. 6. So, what
> > specifically is new to 6 that wasn't in 5? Also, is 6 more stable than
5?

> > Thanks for your thoughts!
> > gw
> >
> > I'd be interested to know as well! Has anyone actually upgraded to this?
How