Any ideas Forms 4.5, SQLPLUS and Word?

From: Fraser Boswell <Fraser.Boswell_at_ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:10:45 +0100

[Quoted] We have scripts kept in sql files in the filesystem which we want to run. These will create CSV files for use in a mail merge. So from Forms 4.5 we want a user to run the script by pressing a button, and when that is finished open Word for Windows with the mail merge set for the data file created. We want to do this in one go. Problem is, setting the script off to run in sqlplus works fine, but as the script may take some time to run, if we run this HOST('sqlplus username/pwd_at_dbname) command followed immediately by opening word we could, and probably will have Word open before the datafile is ready.
[Quoted] I think there are two options, but both I am unsure as to how to do it. 1. Use TEXT_IO functions to pull the sql from the script into a char or long variable in Forms 4.5 and execute it in there (can't find a function which does this)
or
2. Find some way of Looping until we know that the sqlplus has finished. Received on Tue Apr 13 1999 - 10:10:45 CEST

Original text of this message