Re: How can I access external DLL functions through Oracle?

From: Yeb Havinga <yhavinga_at_cs.utwente.nl>
Date: 9 Apr 1999 12:47:13 GMT

In Oracle PL/SQL programming from O'Reilly an entire chapter is dedicated to this issue. Visit www.oreilly.com and order it. I myself consider it on of the handiest Oracle books.

Calling an external procedure in Oracle 8 is like: Creating a library (create library hellolib as '/usr/local/lib/hellolib.so';) Creating an external function.

FUNCTION hello
 ( who VARCHAR2
 )

 RETURN PLS_INTEGER  IS

        EXTERNAL
        LIBRARY hellolib
        NAME "helloworld"
        LANGUAGE C
        PARAMETERS
                ( name STRING );

I remember reading sth like that C is currently the only supported language, though the parameter passing mechanism could also be pascal like.

regards
-- Yeb

Grzegorz Kazior (Grzegorz.Kazior_at_ComArch.Pl) wrote:
: There is package in Oracle Forms called ORA_FFI (Foreign Function
: Interface).
: This is on client side.
: On server side dll's (if it is Ws machine is it?) or other (.so) can be
: accessed with cartridges or with for ex. dbms_pipe (which istn't what
: You want - I think).

: G.Kazior

: Shari wrote:
: >
: > Hello all --
: >
: > Let's say I have a DLL written in Visual Basic. My function HelloWorld
: > returns the obvious. Is there a way to have my PL/SQL procedure or some
: > other server-side process access and run that function?
: >
: > Your help is appreciated !!!
: >
: > Shari