Any way to choose report/paper orientation at run time, in ORACLE reports?

From: Robert Pearson <pearson_at_mail.slh.wisc.edu>
Date: 1 Apr 1999 19:57:11 GMT

        We are running ORACLE reports (2.5 if memory serves correctly), and have one report (in particular) that we would like to be able to run as either portrait or landscape at different times. The good news is that this report works correctly either way (because of how the fields are set up on the layout). So if I just change the paper size from 11 x 8.5 to 8.5 x 11, the report happily converts from a 5 across landscape report to a 3 across portrait report!

        However, how do I change this property at RUN TIME (as opposed to design time)? Is there some system package (which I could maybe call in the before report trigger) that would let me set the page size (and orientation)? If I could do that, then I would only have to maintain one copy of the report instead of two almost identical reports that I would have to maintain in parallel), and let the user just specify a parameter telling which orientation they want the report printed under. This would allow the users to use the 5 across (landscape) version when they need it, but save paper by using the portrait version when 3 (or less) across is acceptable!

        FWIW: I did look at the on-line help, and it talks about SRW2_LAYOUT "ORIENT", "PAGE_WID", and "PAGE_HGT". However, it's not clear how you access/change SRW2_LAYOUT values at run time, or even if it's possible to do so. Anyone know of a way?

	Robert Pearson
	pearson_at_slh.wisc.edu
	Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene