Re: need help with sql*plus

From: Richard Kaiser <richard.kaiser_at_rtp.ppdi.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:38:34 -0500

Hey Peter,

12154 indicates SQL*Net isn't getting out of your PC. (A 12203 is it's alter-ego, saying you got out, but the

    server didn't respond)

During setup, you first entered a name for the connection, this tnsnames "alias" should be entered into the "host string:" of the SQL*Plus log on form.

To check your tnsnames alias, you can use ezconfig, or you can open the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

    Note: if you change anything with an editor...     EZconfig will detect this later, and complain.

TNSNAMES.ORA is an ascii format file, it's in the OraNT/Network/Admin directory.
or the OraNT/Net80/Network/Admin directory If you browse this file,, you should see your alias entry.

If you don't see it, that's your problem: the tnsnames alias does not exist.

    Either you're configuring one version of SQL*Net and     using a different version. Or your just not setting up     the alias (service).
If you do see the alias, then Oracle's likely not looking in the proper directory.

    Check that NT has a path statement with ORANT\bin prior

        to any other ORA directories.

HTH, Rich
Disclaim: Opinions are not my company's.