Re: OAS 3 Web Toolkit: How to create dependent LOVs?

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:03:33 GMT

Hi,

> Howdy, Web experts. Show your skill by helping me create a form with LOVs
> whose contents have a master-detail relationship!
>
> I am using OAS 3 and need to create a Web form that includes a pair of LOVs,
> which I have created using the htp.formSelectOpen command. Now comes the
> tricky part: I want to filter the contents of the second LOV based on the
> choice the user makes in the first one. I've scoured the Oracle docs, the
> Oracle Press OAS Web Toolkit Reference, and even a manual from Oracle's ILT
> class, and haven't found an answer to this. I would greatly appreciate any
> assistance on making this work.
>
> Here is the code I have, which produces a single LOV based on a table:

There are two ways to do this that I know of, One is to use java script, this will allow you to acommplish the task on a single web page, there are two drawbacks to this: you have to know javascript, which may or may not be compatible between various browsers, and secondly, you would have to load all the data into that html page, which may be restrictive in terms of load time.

the next solution is the one I use, I create a form with a LOV. Below the lov is a selection of radio buttons, with the first one being a drill down option, this takes the value and then finds and displays the 'children' in a form that is the same, IE list of values, radio button options