ODBC with a mixed 7.3 and 8.0 Environment

From: Larry Urban <lurban_at_richmond.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:27:57 -0500

I'm working in a mixed environment with both Oracle 7.3 and 8.x running. We are using Oracle 7.3 ODBC drivers to access both db instances. We have experienced some problems with columns defined as number(16) on the 8.x instance using these drivers. Specifically, we get erroneous results back when we use the number column in the where clause. Very repeatable, very wrong results.

Within the next 60 days we are planning to deploy a converted MS Access application that uses Oracle 8.x for the db. This application is used by 300+ managers and supervisors. So far we have not experienced any problems with this application using the 7.3 drivers against the 8.x engine but we are starting to get concerned.

Two questions:

  1. Are there any other know problems with using the 7.3 drivers to access an 8.x database?
  2. To go to the 8.x ODBC drivers do we need to go to Net 8? And how much of an effort is that, in $ and time?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
larry urban
richmond, virginia Received on Fri Mar 26 1999 - 02:27:57 CET

Original text of this message