Re: ReportWriter V1.1 Var Param Question

From: Martin Cookson <martin.cookson_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 01:17:08 -0000

I'm not quite sure what your problem is here. If you are asking if you can order your report using different columns at run time, then the answer is yes. You can create a lexical parameter and enter the name of the column you want to order by at runtime. Your order by clause will look something like:

order by &col_name

Alternatively, you could create an ordinary parameter and decode it at runtime eg.

order by decode(:col_num,1,ename,2,empno)

where col_num is the runtime parameter. Simply supply a value of 1 or 2 at runtime to determine which column you want to order on.

Martin Cookson