Re: career change

From: Adrian Sherwood <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:02:18 +0800

Ronda Ward wrote in message ...
>This forum is probably not the best place for career counseling. I however
>have reached a point in the road that I am going to retrain and I am
>considering Oracle. I have no programming experience however, you have to
>start somewhere and am trying to decide if Oracle or Microsoft
Certification
>(SQL 7) is the best place to go>
>Ronda Ward

What sort of job do you want at the end of it? If you want a DBA job then I'd say go with Oracle but you may want to consider also getting either Solaris or NT administration certification if you're going to be a DBA.

If you want a development job I'd say get your Java programmer certification and learn Oracle JDeveloper. This is a much newer market and people are willing (and often forced) to accept people with small amounts of experience.

At the end of the day it would be nice to choose a path that you will enjoy. It may be worth examining your options in a bit of detail to see which you would enjoy more.

A.Sherwood Received on Tue Mar 23 1999 - 02:02:18 CET

Original text of this message