Re: VB vs. Designer 2000

From: Ken Halsted <kenman_at_mail.snider.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:15:24 -0600

Adrian,

I'm pretty new to all of this but from what I can tell of Developer and Designer, they are really good products with some flaws. I don't think the flaws mean the tools are bad though. I've done some really good stuff in about a year. A year ago, I couldn't even spell Oracle. So overall, I've been really impressed. By the way, I've developed using C, C++, VB, QuickBASIC, RPG, COBOL and a few you've never heard of and I'm still impressed with Oracle's offerings. I think in about two years, Designer is going to blow people away. It's the best Idea I've heard of in a long time. Of course, there are some things about Designer and Developer that really get me pissed off but if you stick with it, the rewards can be much.

I hope developers keep using D2k and Dev2k so that Oracle will continue to improve these great tools.

Ken.

Adrian Sherwood <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:7ckhne$igs$1_at_news.iinet.net.au...

>Paul Dorsey wrote in message ...
>>Performance of Developer apps should (in general) be much better than VB.
>>Developer uses native Oracle OCI (low level) calls. VB uses ODBC. You
will
>>also write a LOT more code in a VB environment. Developer is specifically
>>tuned to the Oracle DB, VB is not.
>>
>You seem to be focusing on database performance. What about actual
>performance of the GUI. If you compile the VB to a native .exe I'd say it
>will blitz Dev2k in terms of GUI performance. Also ODBC is not the only
>option available to VB programmers for accessing Oracle data.
>
>There is also an architecural issue. If you are running a lot of stuff on
>the server using stored procedures and triggers then the database
>performance may be a minor issue. One advantage of Dev2k is that it makes
>it very easy to move code from the client to the server and vice versa,
this
>is one luxury you won't have with VB.
>
>>VB talent should be easier to find and cheeper once you get it. However,
>>Designer/Developer is a much more productive, fully featured environment
if
>>you have a skilled development team.
>>
>You aren't comparing apples to apples. I'd say a skilled VB/Oracle
>development team armed with Rational Rose would give your skilled
>Designer/Dev2k team a run for their money. The VB team would probably have
>the first few screens up and running in the time the Designer/Dev2k team
>wasted trying to configure Designer 2000 and work out if they have the
>latest patch or not.
>
>>I agree with the other answer, i.e. if it is a serious, large app, use
>>Designer and Developer. If you are just playing around, VB is fine.
>>--
>I say they're both crap. Go and get JDeveloper at least it was largely
>constructed by a company that produces decent development tools (Inprise).
>I think Oracle produce greate databases but crap development tools. I
>really wish the Designer/Dev2k community would come clean and admit these
>tools are crap but then they'd be giving up their high salaries and
>contracting rates.
>
>>Paul Dorsey
>>Dulcian, Inc.
>>www.dulcian.com
>>212 595 7223
>>
>>coauthor of Oracle Press's Designer Handbook and
>>coauthor of the upcoming Oracle Press book on Advanced Developer
Techniques