Re: COMMIT for 5.0.

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:24:28 +0100

Vern Stiver wrote
>Is there a way to commit a specific table
> without a commit_form?

No. A commit is always a commit for the whole session.

You could make your live hard by using dbms_pipe. In your form, send a message over the pipe to fetch a new value. Another session would be listening to the pipe, and could commit any changes for that session only. In fact, this other session does not even need to use a table to keep track of the numbers but could simply use a variable.

Note that even then you might get gaps in your numbering when the form data is not committed after all -- something that your other session would not know about. I'd say the best solution is to use another numbering strategy. Possibly an increasing number per session, and include the session_id to make the number unique. You could keep track of the increasing number for a specific session using a global variable in a package (if you do not call the package remotely).

If you want to use an Oracle sequence you might consider using dbms_job to schedule a PL/SQL procedure to reset the sequence every night. Now that I think of it: this would be quite easy!

Arjan. Received on Wed Mar 17 1999 - 18:24:28 CET

Original text of this message