Re: ORA-03113 error

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/03/16

afilonov_at_pro-ns.net writes:

> Looks like you are working through the sqlnet. Try to get a trace file, set
>
> TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=16 in sqlnet.ora.
Doing this will likely not yield anything meaningful. An ORA-3113 means (usually) that the server has gone away. The sqlnet trace file will just (again, usually) indicate that the connection was closed for some reason.

> Most of 3113 error messages actually related to huge amount of server bugs.
> Try to contact your support representative (if you have a support contract).
This is good advice. A 3113 can mean almost anything. Make sure to have the RDBMS server trace file that corresponds to the event.

I don't know which OS it is, but the trace file is by default deposited in $ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\log on NT and $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log on Unix. Also, on Unix, there will likely be a core dump in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/core_<pid>. The locations are configurable so check the init${ORACLE_SID}.ora to see if the directories were changed.

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman
                                        Security and Directory Technologies
                                        Server Technologies
                                        Oracle Corporation
                                        rwessman_at_us.oracle.com

> In article <36ecf9b0.25371213_at_news.chaven.com>,
> amerar_at_unsu.com (Arthur Merar) wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I run the following insert statement and get an error. Oracle runs
> > the insert for about 30 seconds then gives me the following:
> >
> > ORA-03113 End of file on communications channel.
> >
> > What does this mean and why is it happeneing? This is a simple insert
> > statement......I am taking fields from one table and inserting them
> > into another table........
> >
> > All parens are balanced and stuff.....so I do not get it. Any help is
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Arthur
> > amerar_at_unsu.com