Re: TOAD and the like

From: Craig J.B. <johnsmith_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:27:23 -0700

Ferran,

    The tool I like best is ERwin from Platinum Software. It is not a cheap program,
though. It is fairly easy to learn and you can easily connect to virtually all RDBMS's
and reverse engineer its ERD. Oracle Designer 2000 should be able to do this as
well, though I have not worked with it before. Additionally, Designer 2000 will only
connect to an Oracle database (according to our DBA).

     I've also worked with ERStudio version 4.0 from Embarcadero Software (ES),
but it does not support all of the Oracle data types. According to ES, they just
release ERStudio version 5.0 which is suppose to fully support Oracle 7.x and 8.x.

    Both ERwin and ERStudio have trial version of their software available for
download from the Internet, but in order to get ERwin, you will need to call then so
they can give you the hidden URL to download it. Additionally, they require you to
complete a survey and either fax/email the survey to them before they will give you
the unlock code for the program. Without the code, you can install the trial, but you
can't run it. ERStudio v5.0 can be downloaded and used for 10 days before you
are required to contact Embarcadero to get the unlock code to give you your full 30
day trial.

    Hope this helps.

Craig J.B.........

Ferran Foz wrote in message <7cm19i$d36$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I've just discovered TOAD (http://www.toadsoft.com) and it's really a POWER
>tool. Could you (yes, you!),
>recommend me a tool like this (it does not matter if it's Shareware,
Freeware,
>Payware). Thank you very much.
>
>By the way,
>I'm looking for a tool that can help me in "Reverse enginner" dabatases.
I'm