Re: VB vs. Designer 2000

From: Adrian Sherwood <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:52:00 +0800

Paul Dorsey wrote in message ...
>Performance of Developer apps should (in general) be much better than VB.
>Developer uses native Oracle OCI (low level) calls. VB uses ODBC. You will
>also write a LOT more code in a VB environment. Developer is specifically
>tuned to the Oracle DB, VB is not.

You seem to be focusing on database performance. What about actual performance of the GUI. If you compile the VB to a native .exe I'd say it will blitz Dev2k in terms of GUI performance. Also ODBC is not the only option available to VB programmers for accessing Oracle data.

There is also an architecural issue. If you are running a lot of stuff on the server using stored procedures and triggers then the database performance may be a minor issue. One advantage of Dev2k is that it makes it very easy to move code from the client to the server and vice versa, this is one luxury you won't have with VB.

>VB talent should be easier to find and cheeper once you get it. However,
>Designer/Developer is a much more productive, fully featured environment if
>you have a skilled development team.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. I'd say a skilled VB/Oracle development team armed with Rational Rose would give your skilled Designer/Dev2k team a run for their money. The VB team would probably have the first few screens up and running in the time the Designer/Dev2k team wasted trying to configure Designer 2000 and work out if they have the latest patch or not.

>I agree with the other answer, i.e. if it is a serious, large app, use
>Designer and Developer. If you are just playing around, VB is fine.
>--
I say they're both crap. Go and get JDeveloper at least it was largely constructed by a company that produces decent development tools (Inprise). I think Oracle produce greate databases but crap development tools. I really wish the Designer/Dev2k community would come clean and admit these tools are crap but then they'd be giving up their high salaries and contracting rates.

>Paul Dorsey
>Dulcian, Inc.
>www.dulcian.com
>212 595 7223
>
>coauthor of Oracle Press's Designer Handbook and
>coauthor of the upcoming Oracle Press book on Advanced Developer Techniques

Obviously no bias here ;) Does the Advanced Developer Techniques book include a chapter on contacting Oracle support and applying patches?

A.Sherwood Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 03:52:00 CET

Original text of this message