Re: use a role to grant a developer access to the webserver toolkit packages (htp,owa,etc)

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:30:07 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Gerrit van Kammen" <Gerrit.vanKammen_at_wkap.nl> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:14:09 +0100, you wrote:

>>Hello all.
>>I'm setting up a scheme (accounts, roles, etc.) for developing a web
>>application (oracle 8.04,designer 2.1.2,oracle web server 3.01).
>>a created a user toolkit_user that owns the toolkit packages

>(owa,htp,etc.).

>>- created public synonyms for the packages.
>>- created a role (wf_developer)
>>- granted execute privileges for the toolkit packages to the role.
>>- granted the role to a user (the developer).
>>When the developer tries to create a procedure, using the htp.print the
>>following message appears:
>>3/2 PLS-00201: identifier 'TOOLKIT_USER.HTP' must be declared
>>When I grant execute on htp to the developer directly, all works fine.
>>Is it not possible to use roles for this?

roles are never enabled during the compilation/execution of a stored procedure. the grants must go directly to the developers. Roles are meant to handle end users who do not store compiled objects (triggers, views, procedures, etc). You have hundreds or thousands of end users. Roles are not as useful to developers who do create compiled stored objects like triggers, views and procedures. You have 10's of developers.

>>Regards
>>Gerrit.vanKammen_at_wkap.nl
>>Kluwer Academic Publishers
>>Spuiboulevard 50 3311GR Dordrecht