Re: Oracle objects for OLE troubble

From: <scudderfish_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:59:52 GMT

In article <7bg4g4$qgg$1_at_nebula.dnttm.ro>,   "Wings Support" <support_at_wings.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem is with ODatabase class from Oracle Objects for OLE provided by
> Oracle 8.
> The Open method of this class requires the following arguments :
> database_name, user, passw.
> For local databases you can use database_name = 2: or a valid alias defined
> with Oracle Net 8.
> I used both methods but the same result - no connection done.
> In fact the lines
> oresult ores = m_database.Open("2:", "sorin", "sorin");(I have a user/passw
> sorin/sorin linked to Oracle STARS tablespace)
> and
> oresult ores = m_database.Open("multitrade", "sorin", "sorin");(where
> multitrade is an database alias with protocol Bequeath - local database)
> produces the same result ores = OFAILURE with the message "TNS:unable to
> connect to destination"
>
> If you have some ideeas of what could be wrong please
> let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Sorin

Obvious question, but can you connect with SQL Plus? On another note, if you are using Oracle8, the class library does not support the BLOB, CLOB and BFILE field types and as for as I can tell it never will. The beta of the latest OO4O has not updated the class library and Oracle are unsure as to if they will bother. For that reason I'm no longer using the library, and going (semi)directly to the COM objects themselves. This is not much more painful as the mapping is pretty much one to one.

Regards,
Dave