Re: 92349 Moving Designer from NT to Digital Unix

From: <claude.brochu_at_ramq.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:47:18 GMT

In article <7a9v0i$217$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   krose_at_athena.nwafc.nf.ca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is my situation. I currently have the Designer (version 2.20.5.0) housed
> on a Windows NT machine (Intel arch). Oracle 8 Enterprise Server version
> 8.0.4.0.0 runs on the NT Server. The repository is the seeded repos included
> with the NT distribution.
>
> I want to try and move my repository to a Digital Unix box (alpha) running
> Oracle 8 EE version 8.0.5.0.0.
>
> - Is this possible ?
> - What is the easiest way to go about this? I am following the Designer
> Installation guide which leads me to the creation of the repository manually
> after which I can restore from the NT machine from repos admin utility. Ill
> simply export the repository on NT as a DMP and restore on the same DMP on the
> DEC unix.
> -Is there a way to backup an instance/repository and simply restore it on the
> DEC UNIX machine?
> -Any comments, references to documentation or ideas are greatly appreciated?
>
> Thanks

If you have just installed the seeded repository on your NT database and have not entered any data in it, you just need to create the repository on your new DEC ALPHA database and then connect to it with Designer. There is no need to transport your NT repository as it is empty.

On the other hand, if you have entered data on your repository on the NT machine and you want to keep it, exporting from the NT server (in .DMP format) ant importing on DEC Alpha is the way to go. There should be no further action needed as you are not upgrading your Designer software.

I am myself in the process of upgrading the repository from 1.2a to 2.1.2. Maybe I will have some questions too!

Good luck!

Claude Brochu
DBA
Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec