Re: Ad-hoc query tool for End Users connecting to an Oracle Database

From: Stewart Burnett <stewart_at_burnettms.nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:21:26 -0000

There used to be a great tool called GQL by Andyne Computing. They seem to have been swallowed up by http://www.hummingbird.com/ who market the same or similar product under the name BI/Query.

Essentially the tool allows the IT department to create a graphical view of all or part of a relational database. Users can use this graphical view to generate reports and issue queries without understanding the underlying data or having any knowledge of SQL. The graphical view can be used to re-name columns and table as in a meaningful way, build the links (foreign key constraints) between tables and merge in reference tables (e.g. Merge Country Table with Address Table so that user sees Country_Name on Address not Country_ID).

I haven't used or seen the product for 2 or 3 years but you can order a demo from their site.

Stewart Burnett

Please remove 'nospam' from address when replying direct.