Re: Storing and retrieving WORD DOCUMENTS from the DB

From: Sequel Solutions <akolkman_at_sequel.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:11:52 +0100

Dear Chris,

We have developed a nice solution for mail merging Oracle with Microsoft Word:

  • SQLWord:

        Advanced Reportwriter integrating Oracle and Microsoft Word.
        You can create your own standardletters, contracts and any
        other reports using the data of an Oracle database within a
        Microsoft Word document. By placing the fieldnames (keywords)
        of the queries in the text of the document, SQLWord retrieves
        the necessary data from the Oracle database and integrates it
        in the generated output document. Nested structures can be used
        unlimited (master-detail-detail etc).

We would like to invite you to have a look at our website (www.sequel.nl) and download the free trial software.

Sincerely,

Arthur Kolkman (Sequel Solutions)

chris_brunini_at_hotmail.com wrote:

I have a requirement to produce word documents using mail merge. This is a
list of steps to produce the document - 1) The user creates a template that
is stored in the database. 2) The user requests a document (internally we
have set up db tables that allow the user to associate a template with sql
statements.  When the user requests a document these sql statements are
execute to create a data source document to be used for the template) 3) the
Datasource document is created and wriiten to the file system. 4) The
template needs to be unloaded from the db 5) the template is loaded into word
and the datasource file attached 6) the mail merge is performed 7) the
template is closed 8) If the document is changed this needs to be save back
to the db, if not discard.

Now how do I perform this??
I am using forms 5 with RDBMS 8.0.4.

I was thinking of using long raws to store the word documents (as there is no
way of getting blobs out of the database by just using pl/sql or forms).  Then
using OLE to get the WORD documents in and out of the DB.

I can get documents into a ole item using forms_ole.initialize_container and
then commiting the form.

How do I get it out using pl/sql.  I want to be able to write the document to
the file system, then open word to read it and perform the mail merge using
ole commands.  I already have worked out how to perform the mail merge using
ole, but how do I get the document out to the file system.

Then when the file document has been produced, how do I know that the user has
modified it to save it back to the database???

Is there and way to save it to the database with first going through an forms
ole item eg using straight pl/sql??

Any help would be appreciated

Chris

http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own