Re: Is developer 2000 worthwhile?

From: Håkon T Sønderland <haakonts_at_online.no>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:15:59 +0100

Keith Kwiatek wrote:

> Hello D2K Guru,
>
> What has your experience with developer 2000 been. Good or bad? Is it widely
> used?

I've worked with Forms (dev/2k) for almost 10 years. If you can in any way aviod using it you will be better off. It just isn't in any way worth the time or effort to learn, let alone the licence fee. Oracle has been promising improvments with each release, but it still (on v 5.0 of Forms) is chocke full of bugs and is missing vital functionality. Want a tool where you can not search the source code? That stores the code in a binary format? (you can convert it to text, but all your code is in hex-strings, and will be corrupted if it is longer than 1024 bytes). If you really want to get frustrated you could throw in Designer/2000 and try to generate your forms apps from there ;) If you still decide to do this, expect to spend lots on training and consulting.

> I am just now investigating developer 2000 for use in developing web
> applications.. It seems to me that developer 2000 generates the client
> pieces in either Java or some Oracle proprietary form binary....is this
> correct? Can it generate the client pieces in strictly HTML?

No HTML as far as I know. The client is a Java forms interpreter that runs the GUI part, the rest of the form is run in the forms server.

I suggest that you investigate using EJB with a current application server (BEA/WebLogic has one http://weblogic.beasys.com/).

Haakon Received on Tue Feb 16 1999 - 13:15:59 CET

Original text of this message