Oracle Client for linux

From: Vegard Munthe <vegard_at_mint.no>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 20:00:36 +0100

[Quoted] Hello all.

I've used some time trying to set up some form of Oracle Client on a GNU/Linux server now, with little success. First I compiled php with apache with Oracle support and got

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function ora_logon()

So I assume I have to have some external libs to get php to work against an Oracle server.

Then I downloaded the Oracle8 GNU/Linux distribution and installed this. The sqlplus client in this distribution seemed just the prog I was looking for but I got stuck on the fact that it didn't have a commandline option to send the SID with. So I got this error message:

[Quoted] ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

And the following in the sqlnet.log file:

Fatal NI connect error 12505, connecting to: [Quoted] [Quoted]  (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=*)(SERVICE_NAME=139.117.8.26)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=magnavolt.teletopia.no)(USER=oracle)))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=139.117.8.26)(PORT=1521)))

  VERSION INFORMATION:

[Quoted]         TNS for Linux: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
        TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for Linux: Version 8.0.5.0.0 -
Production
  Time: 08-FEB-99 19:13:34
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 12204
    TNS-12204: TNS:received data refused from an application     ns main err code: 12564
    TNS-12564: TNS:connection refused
    ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
---

I then added a descriptor in the tnsname.ora file but found no info on
how to invoke it on the commandline. I tried several different lines but
without results.

So I wondered if someone here could help me out with how I get an Oracle
client to work on GNU/Linux? How I send the right SID (and not * -> I
_have_ set the ENV to contain the right ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, and
ORACLE_OWNER) with sqlplus or any other oracle client. How I invoke a
descriptor added to the network/admin/tnsname.ora file. I've used quite
some time trying to figure out how the oracle Client works, since there
is little documentation available on the subject, so I feel stuck.

I'm now going to start all over with the perl ORA lib to see if I get
any farther with that.

    -Vegard