Re: Calling C program from PL/SQL

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 16:45:54 GMT

[Quoted] A copy of this was sent to "Roger Premo" <rogerp_at_nycap.rr.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:58:08 -0500 , you wrote:

>I need to call a C program from PL/SQL program on Oracle Unix platform. I
>have read that PL/SQL can call a DLL, but you can't use DLL in Unix. The C
>module is a third party program.
>When we used Informix it was easy to link a C module when compling a 4gl
>programs.
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks

in v7.x you can use pipes to talk to a daemon process you build. See the application developers guide for information on using dbms_pipes to do this (or see plex on http://govt.us.oracle.com/ under downloadable utilities -- it writes the code you would have to to interface to the dbms_pipe package making this pretty easy to do)

in v8 you have extprocs (external procedures) see the pl/sql guide for info on that. on unix, you would use a .so file which is the equivalent in unix for a .dll on nt. (.so on many unixes, .sl on others)...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.