DA/DBA Newsletter Announcement

From: Robert S. Seiner <rseiner_at_tdan.com>
Date: 1999/02/03

Re: The Data Administration Newsletter (http://www.tdan.com)

Dear TDAN Readers,

This announcement is to let you know that the content for TDAN 8.0 has been selected. The next issue of The Data Administration Newsletter will be made available on March 1, 1999. I think that you will find the articles for TDAN 8.0 to be very interesting and certainly at or above the same quality level that you have come to expect from the previous seven issues.

The NEW ARTICLES for TDAN 8.0 will address knowledge management, data warehousing, metadata management, data quality, data mining, and database management (to name just a few of the topics). The articles from issues 1.0-7.0 will continue to be made available in the ARTICLE ARCHIVE section.

There are a few quick items that I would like to bring to your attention:

I have received tremendous feedback from readers regarding the new PUBLISHER'S COLUMN. The short column (introduced with TDAN 7.0) is updated monthly as compared to rest of the articles that are updated quarterly. Thus far, the three columns (December, January, and February) have focused on the spelling of the word metadata, front-line data quality, and the computer profession in general. The February column "Best of Times - Worst of Times" is an eye-opening letter that was written for prospective computer professionals. Look for guest columns to begin appearing in this section in the near future.

Over the past few weeks, TDAN 7.0 was updated significantly. You will find updates to the BOOK REVIEWS, CONFERENCE LIST, LINKS, and ORGANIZATION UPDATES. If you have already visited TDAN 7.0 you may want to consider checking back to see what is new. If you haven't yet visited TDAN 7.0, then you still have a month to catch up before the next issue.

Beginning with TDAN 8.0, an Editorial Review Board (ERB) will be introduced to help select the best articles for each issue. A tremendous number of people have volunteered for the ERB and the selections will be announced with the March issue.

Also beginning with TDAN 8.0, a LOOK TO THE FUTURE section will be introduced to replace the old READERS CORNER section. The LTTF section will document "best practices" answers to questions about the most pressing issues of the day and the new millennium. The questions will be selected by the Publisher and will be distributed to a list of volunteers. If you are interested in adding your name to the volunteer list, please let me know as soon as possible.

TDAN is a media sponsor of the DAMA International Symposium/Meta-Data conference in Atlantic City, New Jersey (USA) to be held from April 19-22, 1999. For more information about the conference please visit the conference web-site at http://www.tticom.com/dama/. You will receive a brochure promoting the conference in the regular mail courtesy of the newsletter. I will be offering a presentation at the conference titled "Justifying the Cost of Metadata Management". I hope that you will consider joining the hundreds of us that regularly attend this spring conference.

The article deadline for TDAN 9.0 (the 2ND ANNIVERSARY ISSUE to be published on June 1, 1999) is May 1. The article deadline for TDAN 10.0 (to be published September 1) will be August 1, and so on. The June Anniversary issue will provide special content that will celebrate the beginning of the third year for The Data Administration Newsletter. If you have articles to contribute to future issues, please let me know.

If you have not yet registered on-line for newsletter updates, please do so. The newsletter mailing or emailing list is not made available to third parties.

I appreciate your interest in the newsletter. Please drop me a note if you have a question or comment. I can be reached at rseiner_at_tdan.com.

Best Regards.
Bob Seiner Received on Wed Feb 03 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message