Re: Is Designer2000 wothwhile?

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:50:17 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:56:29 +0800, "David Ng" <david_ng_at_attmysite.com> wrote:

>It really depends on what you are looking for.
>
>Designer 2000 is a big tools and suits for large scale development and
>used by a few dozon of developers. You can use it for system analysis,
>design, application generation . even technical QA in some sense..
>
>It is expensive and you need a deep pocket for a large team.. a bit
>less user friendly (compare to ERWin). I recommend it for a large
>project and and work quality is number one priority.
>
>I recommend for team approach developement for large project.
>
>If you are a DBA and want to have a tools for a small project, try
>ERWin. This tools is really user-friendly and easy to use, and it
>can generate a lot of useful codes (database triggers). Everything
>is a piece of cak and it sure can speed you up in small project.
>
>Warning. ERwin is addictive, once you use it you do not eant to be
>a DBAA without one. (I do)

Completely disagree... I've used both tools... Designer is not as simple as ERwin, and not as fast in some cases, but as far as generating ERDs, DFDs, matrixes, etc - the tools that are typically needed in a structured methodology even for a small-scale project, there's NO comparison.

Even for a project with a SINGLE data modeler and database designer, who will ALSO be doing the DFDs and has to insure that the processes satisfy the business functions defined for the project, Designer was/is an excellent tool.......

ALSO, if you have to generate ERDs or DFDs that can be customized to minimize crossed lines, fit information into a space that makes it as user understandable as possible, ERwin sucks. You can set entity sizes and shapes as needed, and can have it autolayout just the relationships in whole or in part, etc..........

ERwin's fine for what it does, but for even a small design of 100 tables or so, I got MUCH better results, faster, in Designer than my counterpart did in ERwin. Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 04:50:17 CET

Original text of this message