Re: spooling SQL*PLUS to interactively concatonated filename

From: Scott Meade <scottmeade_at_briefcase.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:15:31 GMT

One way: spool out a sql script which sets fileName, execute that script to actually set the name, and then spool to the name. Try this code snippet out:

1.) Create file called spoolDate.sql using text below.
2.) Run sqlplus user/pass_at_sid @spoolDate.sql.
3.) Should have created file with name 'out0127.txt' (if run today).

Good luck, have fun.
Scott M.

~
~
~

now spooling to date-based filename
set heading off
set feedback off
set pagesize 50000
set numformat 0999
set newpage 1

  • Define file to spool to by creating a sql command
  • which is executed to define fileName.
  • [Doing a 'select' from db here, you can put in other audit items.
  • For example, I keep an audit table and append sequential letters (a,b,c)
  • to the filename. These letters (and other data) are read from the audit
  • table.] spool definedest.sql select 'define fileName = ' || 'out' || to_char(sysdate, 'MMDD') || '.txt' from sys.dual; spool off
  • Execute the 'define..' statement. _at_definedest.sql
  • Now that fileName is 'defined' spool to it. spool &filename
  • Spool to your heart's content here. select 'now spooling to date-based filename.....' from sys.dual; spool off

exit