Forms 4.5 - how to make resilient links?

From: Andy Hardy <Andy.Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:02:11 +0000

Hi,

We have a Oracle Forms solution where the users are distibuted about a factory and the server (cluster) is in a computer room.

Factories being what they are, we tend to suffer from network and power failures/outages (despite UPS, etc).

When a failure occurs, the Forms loose their connection to the server. I would like the form to attempt to re-connect to the server as the outage is usually only of the order of minutes.

However, just tracking the failure at the form level and then using a quick check (query the db) to determine that the connection is gone and then running the logon command doesn't seem to work - the form seems to loop around the logon even when the server is visible again.

A further complication is that the forms are running on touchscreen consoles, so getting a standard forms logon dialog doesn't help matters!

How do I resolve this problem?

Andy

--
Andy Hardy
Senior IT Systems Engineer, Alstom Automation