Re: Which is better - more tables or more DSN's ???

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 19 Jan 1999 05:48:25 GMT

>Ok, well here is what we know. We _will_ be running Oracle 8 on Linux.
 We
>will be running a web server. We will be serving up pages enriched with
>"dynamic" content from the database, and writing input from the web _into_
>the database. Finally, we will be serving up images on web pages that will be
>taken from the database (using the Oracle 8 feature that allows you to store
>binary files in the database, and use the database as a file system of
>sorts).
>
>How would you propose doing this, if not with ODBC? Bear in mind that the
>web
>server is not only on a different machine, but perhaps a different platofrm
>altogether - and probably one that knows nothing about Oracle. And Yes,
>performance is a _big_ issue.
>
>Any thoughts, etc. are appreciated....
>
>-john

Are you using Oracles Web Server (I think the name this week is Application Server)? If so, you can use the htp package to generate HTML code.With this, you write PL/SQL programs that call functions that generate HTML, as well as what ever else you need the PL/SQL to do. There are a few ways to do this:

  1. Write it using the "correct" calls
  2. Take the HTML and use something like WebAlchemy (on the Oracle Gov site) to generate the "correct" calls.
  3. Take the web-designer created HTML code and wrap htp.p synate arround it, and add your PL/SQL logic.

We have started this, but it is going live in a few days - I don't know how the performance will be. Yet. (I helped with the PL/SQL and overall design, but now I am out of the picture)

Hope that helps

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Tue Jan 19 1999 - 06:48:25 CET

Original text of this message