table design question

From: Ryan <rrichards_at_benham.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:33:40 -0600

I was wanting to get advice on the best way to design a table. Actually to make sure I have done this correcty - it has been awhile since database design class ;)

If I have 1NF table such as :

CARYEAR CARMODEL# CARPRICE:

1998                        220                    $20000
1998                        220                    $21000
1997                        122                    $12000
1997                        122                    $13000

With tables definition as:

TABLE CAR: CAR_ID primary key
CARYR
CARMODELNUM
CARPRICE NOW lets say I want to place this in 3NF: I assume it is in 3NF if it is like this:

TABLE CARYEAR:

CARYEAR_ID primary key
CARYEAR TABLE CARMODEL:

CARMODEL_ID primary key
CARMODELNUMBER TABLE CARPRICE:

CARPRICE ID primary key
CARYEAR_ID references CARYEAR(CARYEAR_ID) CARMODEL_ID references CARMODEL(CARMODEL_ID) CARPRICE I know my syntax isnt correct but I am just trying to get my point across. Is this truly in 3NF? I get confused when translating tables with repeating fields into tables with repeating LINKS to fields. I dint understand the difference I guess.

For example. instead of the 1NF table repeating the model umbers and car years the 3NF table CARPRICE will hold repeating LINKS to the respective tables (CARMODEL and CARYEAR).

have I missed the boat here?
Thanks for any help,
Ryan

--

- Remove [NO SPAM] from email address to reply -