Re: How extract time values from date fields?

From: Maarten Meijer <M.Meijer_at_accu.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:06:33 +0000

[I] wrote:

> Hello Oracle programmers,
> Could anyone solve this little problem? In a PL/SQL program,
> I'm trying to
>
> select ... from ...
> where time0 between time1 and time2
>
> time0, time1 and time2 are of type DATE, but I'm only interested
> in the time portion of these dates!
> Since time0 is being input by a user, the date portion of time0
> is set to the first of the current month and year, while time1
> and time2 can have other month and year values.
> So how do I ignore these day, month and year values??

Thank you all for replying! The solution appears to be usage of to_char(time,'HH24:MI') for all time-variables, which leads to a comparison of strings instead of dates, but with the leading zeros this works.

--
Maarten Meijer (030)2531660/2805001 http://www.accu.nl/~mmeijer
  ACCU (Academisch Computercentrum Utrecht) fax (030)2531633