Re: Oracle Reports

From: Ken Halsted <kenman_at_mail.snider.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:26:34 -0600

[Quoted] I asked the same question you just asked about 6 months ago. Now that I've actually used Oracle Reports, I am glad I learned it. It takes a while to get used to the 'Frames' concept but my suggestion would be to buy the Books on it. I bought the 2.5 version of the books even though I'm using 3.0. (They didn't have the 3.0 books out at the time I bought it). It's the books by Oracle called "Oracle Developer/2000 Reports 2.5". One is the "Reference manual" and the other is the "Building Reports manual". If you go through those books you will be a pro at Oracle Reports.

Of all the things I like about "Reports3.0" there is one thing I wish they'd change, The Parameter form. I wish they'd combine most of the features of Forms5.0 with the parameter form part of Reports or better, use a Forms5.0/Reports3.0 combined tool. You can't use bind variables in the select statements of the parameter items.

I've never used Crystal Reports but I've heard it's not near as feature rich as "Reports". I've seen Crystal Reports demo'd but that's all.

Good luck,

Ken Halsted
kenman_at_mail.snider.net