No changes to save

From: Jim Limberatos <jlim_at_pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:53:23 -0600

[Quoted] First of all, thanks to those people who told me to use FORMS_DDL('COMMIT'); to save changes as a result of SQL (as opposed to the usual COMMIT;) in a forms program unit; this got rid of one kind of "No changes to save" message.

Now I've got another!

I have a simple master-detail form. When the user changes something, and tries to go on to the next record, they get the standard message "Do you want to save the changes". They click Yes, and the next record is retrieved. When they change the next record, and move on to the next, they get prompted again, but after they click YES this time (and every subsequent time) they get an Oracle error "No changes to save" (why the hell is this an error anyway??) even though they obviously made changes. After they dismiss this stupid dialog box, the next message is "1 records were saved" or whatever at the status bar in the bottom. HUH?

I guess my question is

Why does FORMS 4.5 (Win 95 if it matters) prompt us to save changes, and then tell us there are no changes to save when we try to save them? Have I set some property wrong on the blocks or relation?

HINTS:
a) I get the message only after the 1st time I save a change b) It doesn't matter which items I change and save (master or detail), I still get the error.
c) Even pressing F10 (commit form) manually to save a change gives the problem.
d) I have a WHERE clause in the MASTER block which only selects those records that have corresponding DETAIL records e) All the items that I try to change are base table items, but there is one non-base table item in the detail block which is not updateable anyway. f) I am not basing the blocks on any VIEWS. g) The data is being saved normally, but you wouldn't think so from the message

TTYL Received on Thu Jan 14 1999 - 03:53:23 CET

Original text of this message