Re: Drowning in Oracle...{Extreme Newbie}

From: Ed Bruce <Ed.Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1999/01/11

Mungo Henning wrote:
> I heartily agree with Ryan with regard to patience (and I guess perseverance)
> when mastering a new subject. Training courses can short-circuit that
> process somewhat, costing you money BUT saving a lot of time.
> Ever struggled for days trying to solve a problem, only to find that the
> mistake is not yours but is a bug in the system? I'd hope that good training
> would give delegates a mental model of the application plus a feel for which
> avenues will give results or not.

What I would say about Oracle's training is it can help, but to use it you need a little experience. So I second the patience advice. Try and then try again. Then try again. Then come to this group and ask specific questions. Then try again. Repeat all the above. Do this for several weeks (months if you have the time) then take the introductory courses from Oracle. Then try again. Once you have succeeded at getting Oracle installed and have created a database instance. Then look at taking some more advance courses.

later,
Ed Bruce Received on Mon Jan 11 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message