Forms field formatting question

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:58:40 GMT

Hello,

  I know that I am overlooking something here, but anyway.... Suppose I have phone number fields in an Oracle form which correspond to columns in a database table of type INTEGER. Now, I want to display these 10-digit integers like (999)999-9999, but the format mask FM"("999")"999"-"9999 will not work for some reason. (The maximum length attribute has been adjusted appropriately.) If I change the mask to FM999"-"999"-"9999, however, it works fine and therefore seems to be a problem with having the mask start with an embedded character (???). The only solution I could come up with (but do not like) is to change the phone numbers to type VARCHAR2, in which case the format mask FM"("999")"999"-"9999 works fine. Unfortunately, this causes a conflict (I think) with Oracle Reports because this product will not allow a format mask with a field of type VARCHAR2 (and I don't think you can change the field type). Does anyone have a solution/workaround to this problem? Thanks.

Cary