Re: Drowning in Oracle...{Extreme Newbie}

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: 1999/01/06

ryanrich_at_ flash.net (Ryan) wrote:

> I disagree on the training bit though. I know guys who went to
> training and are idiots. That's because they can't learn regardless. I
> know training is the best way but I think if you have the patience you
> can get pretty good doing whatever. It's like technology .... the more
> you learn on your own, the faster you learn on your own next time. ;)

I like the equation where "retention = (attention * intention)/tension". It's true that even the best of training can be worthless if the delegate is incapable or unwilling to learn, so I implore all those about to embark on training courses that they carefully read the pre-requisites for their chosen course and make efforts to be at the level required by the course.

I heartily agree with Ryan with regard to patience (and I guess perseverance) when mastering a new subject. Training courses can short-circuit that process somewhat, costing you money BUT saving a lot of time. Ever struggled for days trying to solve a problem, only to find that the mistake is not yours but is a bug in the system? I'd hope that good training would give delegates a mental model of the application plus a feel for which avenues will give results or not.

One thing which I've found useful with regard to Oracle is to keep in mind that the product has been around for years and it has a huge customer base so although a "clean" model (without any required bolt-on fixes) would be useful then don't expect it. It's a good robust product IMHO.

Mungo Henning Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message