Re: Drowning in Oracle...{Extreme Newbie}

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: 1999/01/06

On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 19:15:02 +0000, Ken Ingram <kingram_at_sdl.org> wrote:

>If you're looking for a 'crib sheet' on basic DBA procedures, there
>probably isn't one.
>A number of the steps involved in creating a database in Oracle are
>non-intuitive.

NOTHING in Oracle is intuitive! DBA, Forms, Reports, you name it!

>If you have time constraints, the most economical and reasonable method is
>to get
>some knowledgable Oracle DBA to write you a script.

[Quoted] If you're doing the install, on NT, you can have Oracle provide you with the scripts for the database creation. That'll at least give you a roadmap... BUT, you'll still need some kind of Oracle manuals to give you basic information...... And it SURE aint' gonna come from the concepts manual - one of the most convoluted books I've ever tried to make heads or tails of......

AND, at least on the NT version of 8.0.4, it comes with some online manuals. BUT, without going to some basic training somewhere, its a LOT harder to get any kind of mastery. Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message