Re: TNS...pls help.

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: 1998/12/29

[Quoted] Hi, Ellen,

  Yes, the SQLNET.ORA file is absolutely necessary and should be located in the same directory as the TNSNAMES.ORA and other network files. It is a simple text file, and the contents of an example file are given here:

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world
names.default_domain=world

The critical part is the names.directory_path variable. This example tells Oracle to use the TNSNAMES.ORA file to process SID requests and to use the local hosts file to match host names with IP addresses. Provided TNSNAMES.ORA is configured properly, the presence of the SQLNET.ORA file should eliminate your problems.

Cary

In article <36886C7C.FE8CEEF3_at_nettrack.com.au>,   Ellen Chiem <ellen_at_nettrack.com.au> wrote:
> --------------2A8D10A6EA70DA422F018E32
>
> HI Keith,
> thank you for your prompt response.
> Yes, I did check out the doco before I try this list. I 'll try your
> suggestion, and got this error "TNS-03505 Failed to resolve name".
> Do I also need SQLNET.ORA? Currently, all I have is the TNSNAME.ORA and
> LISTENER.ORA.
> thanks
> :-) ellen
>
> Keith Gilbert wrote:
> >
> > Ellen Chiem wrote in message <36884EDA.C559284F_at_nettrack.com.au>...
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >Platform : AIX version 4.3.1, Oracle 7.3.2
> > >
> > >I'm very new to Oracle, so please bear with me. I have just install the
> > >Oracle server and now are in the process if setting up a test database
> > >to run a third party product call Netview. When I try to run the Netview
> > >script I keep getting the same errro "ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve
> > >service name". I have done everything that the troubleshoot book
> > >advised, but alas still the same error. Basically, the script just
> > >create another sql script to create some table.
> > >
> > >Am I missing something is my setup of the instance?. (The listener is up
> > >and running.)
> > >
> > >Thanks very much for the help.
> > >
> > >:-) Ellen
> >
> > Ellen,
> >
> > I know you may have already checked the documentation on this error but just
> > in case here it is:
> >
> > ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> > Cause: The service name specified is not defined correctly in the
> > TNSNAMES.ORA file.
> > Action: Make the following checks and correct the error:
> > - Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and
> > accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the
> > required name and location.
> > - Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files
> > and add it if necessary.
> > - Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly
> > look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a
> > TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2
> > Administrator's Guide. If possible, regenerate the configuration files using
> > the Oracle Network Manager.
> >
> > There is also a neat little utility that may be installed called tnsping
> > supplied by oracle that may assist with testing the resultant combination of
> > TCP/IP hostname resolution, TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files.
> >
> > Keith
> --------------2A8D10A6EA70DA422F018E32
>
> begin: vcard
> fn: Ellen Chiem