Re: VB6: OLEDB - Oracle Questions

From: <toffie_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/12/29

In article <368679F0.BE60494D_at_ican.ca>,   Jerry Apfelbaum <japfelba_at_ican.ca> wrote:
> Before I buy VB6 to use its OLEDB facilities, I would like to clarify its
 Oracle
> interface. Does anyone have experience with it?
>
> 1. Does OLEDB work well with Oracle8?
[Quoted] been playing around with it for a while through the ADO wrapper (native OLEDB is way too hard).. no problems yet..
> 2. Does OLEDB use native Oracle SQL or does it use Microsoft's 'Jet-SQL'?

[Quoted] You have several options here. There is a 'native' OLEDB oracle 8 provider from Intersolv that goes 'directly' over the NET 8 to the database. Another option is the 'native' OLEDB Oracle7 provider (available from intersolv or microsoft) which goes 'directly' over the SQL*NET 2.x to the Oracle 8 database (with oracle 7.3 functionality!!). Yet another option is the Intersolv or Oracle Oracle 8 driver which can be used via the OLEDB-ODBC bridge (default installed with OLEDB/ADO environment as at this time more than 80% from the database access via OLEDB is still made over the bridge/ODBC driver combination, instead over the 'native' relational providers) and will go to the oracle 8 database over NET8. Last options are the intersolv, microsoft or oracle Oracle 7 driver which will connect via OLEDB over the OLEDB-ODBC bridge and SQL*NET 2.3 (7.3 functionality only!!). You can get these components as free evals from the intersolv and oracle website, the microsoft drivers and providers are part of the MS DAC 2.0 package which is downloadable from www.microsoft.com\data\ADO.

> 3. Can OLEDB use SQL*Net directly or does it still need ODBC to communicate
> with Oracle?
 see question 2
> 4. Does OLEDB support all Oracle object types? eg, Oracle stored procedures,
> PL/SQL, packages, etc.?

This is functionality that is exported by the providers and drivers. Should be checked for each. In my experience the Intersolv one gives you most control (but is also the most expensive one). Please note that when using Oracle7 providers or drivers you will only be able to go over SQL*NET 2.x and the driver will never be able to support new functionality or datatypes (like BLOBS)
> 5. Any other issues I should be aware of?
not that I know of.

Toffie.