Re: forms 5 and po8

From: Al Brana <albrana_at_ij.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:15:25 -0800

I had the same problem. A friend sent me the following instructions. They may be a little outdated but it might help. I only got about halfway through and my problems were solved. Here it is:

Developer/2000 uses SQL*Net and Oracle8 uses Net8. Both components must be installed and configured. However, when Developer is installed a new version of SQL*Net is installed that is not compatible with Oracle8.

To set up a connection from Developer/2000 2.0 to an Oracle8 database you must follow the setup steps below:

  1. Install Personal Oracle8
  2. Install Developer/2000 version 2.0
  3. Re-install the Oracle Installer & SQL*Net 2.3.3.0.1
  4. Re-install the Oracle installer from the PO8 distribution media
  5. REMOVE SQL*Net 2.3.4.0.0 and the SQL*Net Adaptors 2.3.4.0.0
  6. Install SQL*Net 2.3.3.0.1 and the SQL*Net TCP/IP Adaptor 2.3.3.0.1.

Please Note: You will need to make sure you have the TCP/IP protocol adaptor installed for your Operating system before continuing.

4. Configure a SQL*Net ALIAS for your Oracle8 database

  1. START -> PROGRAMS -> ORACLE FOR WINDOWS95 -> SQL*Net EASY Configuration.
  2. ADD a database ALIAS.
  3. Name the Database ALIAS anything you would like.
  4. Select TCP/IP as your protocol Adaptor.
  5. Enter your PC name or IP address for the TCP/IP Host name.
  6. The database Instance will be the same as the database SID, which is ORCL if you are using the default database installed with Personal Oracle8.
  7. Start the listener.
  8. go to a DOS command prompt.
  9. type: lsnrctl80
  10. at the lsnrct prompt type: start
  11. Start up the database
  12. START -> PROGRAMS -> Personal Oracle8 for NT/95 -> Start Database
  13. Start up Developer
  14. START -> PROGRAMS -> Developer 2000 r2.0 -> Forms Builder
  15. Connecting to the database from Forms Builder
  16. FILE -> CONNECT
  17. username -> system
  18. password -> manager
  19. Connect String -> (enter in the database ALIAS name that you created in step 4c)