Real-time updates with Dev/2000

From: John Coll <john_at_csoft.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:53:27 +0000

I'm fairly new to Oracle and would appreciate some guidence.

[Quoted] I want to build an appliction that runs with Windows clients and UNIX (Linux) Oracle database to a) use normal Dev/2000 forms to interrogate a database and b) displays in real-time a few counters that are constantly updating.

[Quoted] I can see that I could either keep the counters in the DB and see if I can continuously update the client displays from the DB OR "broadcast" the update info to the a small application on the windows PCs and somehow get the small app to "trigger" an update in the Oracle client application.

My questions are
[Quoted] a) can I get the client application to update its display every time a value in the DB is changed
b) can I get another windows app to talk to the client (DDE / OLE2 / whatever) to agian get the client to update its display every time a new value is recieved
c) which of these is "better" - or is there a better way still?

Help would be much appreciated - I'm reading and reading but someone out there no-doubt will know an answer already.

thanks

john
john_at_csoft.co.uk Received on Mon Dec 28 1998 - 21:53:27 CET

Original text of this message