Re: Alternative to T.O.A.D. ???

From: <oracle_man_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:48:05 GMT

> Many of you may be aware of the freeware Oracle tool called T.O.A.D. It's a
> really slick SQL developer environment, loaded with bells and whistles.
> Unfortunately, it's not free anymore - the folks that picked it up want $249
> per seat.

In an Oracle environment, anything under 2k per seat is pretty much free. At $249 per pop, Toad is a giveaway. I bought it immediately and haven't thought twice about it. You will either have to buy Toad or fork out 2-6k for one of the other tools or you'll go back to a hodge-podge of cheaper utilities and Sql- scripts that can't do together what any one of these tools does individually. Personally, Toad is my choice because it is so much better rounded than any of the other tools and still fits on one floppy. Sql Station is 48mg download and hasn't all of the features of Toad. Sql Navigator is about a 6mg download and has good integration with addon tools but altogether, those are about 2K (or more).

Alternatively (no pun) you could just remain with the freeware Toad. I thought about that for about two days but then Toadman released a version that has an editor that doesn't require a connection to the database. So I can edit my scripts offline and even syntax check em using Pl/Formatter. And the features keep on coming just as always.