Re: Automate Data Entry

From: <gjlinker_at_geocities.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:28:23 GMT

Hi,

Alternative to do it all yourself using ODBC you could use Oraxcel: an utility I wrote for MS Excel.

Oraxcel allows you to use Excel as front-end to Oracle databases.

One of the new features in Oraxcel is the bulk upload of an Excel spreadsheet into an Oracle table.

Have a look at http://members.aol.com/gjlinker/projects/oraxcel for a detailed description.

Here is the list of features:

  • Query Oracle and receive the data in your spreadsheet.
  • Fetch data into Excel, change it and post the changes back to Oracle.
  • Browse your Oracle tables and columns.
  • Execute PL/SQL.
  • Load a full spreadsheet of data into Oracle in one go.
  • Commit or Rollback transactions.
  • Installation spreadsheet provided.
  • Assign the return value of an Oracle query to a cell in Excel.
  • Oraxcel provides a form to do inserts and updates or to make insert scripts.
  • Use Excel formulae to assemble (pl)sql.
  • Refer to Excel cells in your (pl)sql. e.g. select * from emp where sal > :B4
  • Use SQL and PL/SQL from a selection in the spreadsheet
  • Oraxcel let you automatically connect to Oracle from an Excel script.
  • Execute (PL/)SQL from an Excel script.

Regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker

In article <19981209224706.07209.00000309_at_ng116.aol.com>,   danhw_at_aol.com (DanHW) wrote:
> >This is not a true Oracle question but it will help in our Oracle
> >Manufacturing App's implementation. We are in the progress of implementing
> >Oracle Manufacturing Apps (leaving behind our legacy system). We were able
> >to convert much of our legacy data and import into the Application tables.
> >However we have a significant amount of data that has to be entered
> >manually. It is not cost affective to develop a programmatic solution (it's
> >broken into many small unrelated pieces of information and will not be
> >re-used).
> >
> >We have created several spreadsheets documenting the information that needs
> >to be entered. Is there a "macro builder" we can use to pull this
> >information from the spreadsheets and navigate the Oracle Forms to input the
> >information?
> >
> >thanks
> >

> IF you can get it into an Excel spreadsheet, you can then put it into an
Access