Re: Developer 2000: Why use Object ID instead of Object Name?

From: Russ Whiteman <russw_at_inlink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:06:59 -0600

[Quoted] Well...in the project I'm working on (a FE for a billing system), we often end up having to research a customer.
Checking to see if there are any related accounts, and in some cases, our customers are trying to -hide- that fact, so we need to start looking for patterns in the data. The amount of data involved makes a multi-record set awkward to use, and it's difficult to query the database in such a way as to [Quoted] pull out only the records you are interested in.

With this need in mind, the simplest way to compare data is to have two (or three or six) data forms open at once, so you can see -just- what differences and similarities exist. The query can be a very generic form (all customers named 'Smith'), which produces a multi-record form that is then used to select the records you want complete details on. That detail record should not be limited to a single instance.

The first version of the system, implemented in ::cough:: Access, didn't have this capability, and it was sorely missed. <g> Actually, the situation can be generalized to cover -any- case when you need to compare multiple data-sets for whatever reason.